- Can could tenses?
- Will and would uses?
- Can Model sentences?
- Can and Cannot sentences?
- Can you express ability?
- Could be sentences in English?
- How do you use could not in a sentence?
- How do you use might in a sentence?
- How do you use must?
- Is should present tense?
- When to and for is used?
- Will and shall example sentences?
- Is could Past or present?
- Is could used for future?
- What does could be mean?
- Can past ability examples?
Can could tenses?
The verb can is used to say that someone or something is able to do something. It doesn’t have all of the tenses that verbs usually have. It has the simple past tense could, but no past participle. When a past participle is needed, the expression be able to is used instead.
Will and would uses?
And English learners often get these two confused because they’re used in very similar situations. But they’re not the same. The main difference between will and would is that will is used for real possibilities while would is used for imagined situations in the future.
Can Model sentences?
She can drive a car. He can speak English fast. Fishes can swim….
- Can I use your book, please? ( ask for permission )
- If you want, you can go to the park. ( give permission )
- Can I ask you some questions? ( ask for permission )
- You can drive my bike. ( give permission )
Can and Cannot sentences?
- I can travel in December. I cannot (can’t) travel now.
- You can see the stars! You cannot (can’t) hear the teacher.
- He can be rude sometimes. * He cannot (can’t) play the drums well.
- She can play the guitar.
- It can wait for an hour.
- We can try again later.
- They can study after lunch.
Can you express ability?
The modal ‘can’ is a commonly used modal verb in English. It is used to express; ability, opportunity, a request, to grant permission, to show possibility or impossibility.
Could be sentences in English?
English Modal Verbs Could, Example Sentences Ability I could play a guitar when I was a child I could smell something burning. Request Could you hand me the pencil? Could I go to the park? Suggestion I could help you with Spanish.
How do you use could not in a sentence?
Couldn-t sentence example
- “I couldn’t sleep,” she said.
- I was so excited that I couldn’t sleep, so I got up and dressed.
- You couldn’t see a thing.
- If he has custody, she couldn’t get the money.
- They both couldn’t be there all the time.
- He’s a big horse, but I couldn’t make him carry the two of us in that terrain.
How do you use might in a sentence?
Might sentence example
- It might have done damage inside.
- If you could see a way it might be possible, then it must be possible.
- We might have done something to help you.
- This might be the most difficult decision she would ever make.
- Either situation might be the case.
- No one knows what the mother might do.
How do you use must?
Must is used to express obligation, give orders and give advice. It can only be used for present and future reference. When the past is involved, you use have to….to speculate about the truth of something.
- She must be mad!
- You must be joking!
- There must be some mistake.
- Mr Robertson is here; it must be Tuesday.
Is should present tense?
should is the preterite form of the modal verb whose present form is shall. As such, should can be (and is still) used in the past tense, in places where shall would be used in the present tense. Two examples: “It is time, we shall proceed” can be reported as “he said it was time, we should proceed”.
When to and for is used?
Use “to” when the reason or purpose is a verb. Use “for” when the reason or purpose is a noun. That’s all! Once you’ve learned that rule, using “to” and “for” becomes much easier.
Will and shall example sentences?
The Traditional Rules for Forming the Future Tense with “Will” and “Shall”
|1st Person Singular||I||I shall be there soon.|
|2nd Person Singular||You||You will be there soon.|
|3rd Person Singular||He, She, It||He will be there soon.|
|1st Person Plural||We||We shall be there soon.|
Is could Past or present?
Could is used for past and future instances, or sometimes in the present tense (although in the present tense it is normally describing a possibility or is part of a question). For example, She spoke so fast that I could not hear her, or, he could do it if he chooses to. In the present, we use can.
Is could used for future?
We often use could to express possibility in the present and the future.
What does could be mean?
—used to say that something is absolutely not true.
Can past ability examples?
General ability We usually use could or couldn’t to talk about general abilities in the past. She could paint before she started school. I couldn’t cook until I went to university. When I lived next to the pool, I could go swimming every day.